Friday, June 03, 2005

Welcome to the New Virtual Viewpoints

Welcome to my new version of Virtual Viewpoints, a short-lived roundtable discussion column I started at Console Gold, a video and computer game website I've been a part of for over 3 years. For those that read Console Gold, I'd be the real person behind the forum nickname AgtFox. With that out of the way, we'll start things off...

Ron and I are working on our first "Versus" column that was first suggested in this thread at the CG forums. We hope to do this regularily and hopefully enough people will read it so we can keep it going and it doesn't feel like a chore. Ron and I have different tastes in games (Non-arcade racing games...I love them, he doesn't; Sports games...I love them , he doesn't; RPGs like Morrowind...he loves them, I don't), but some of our columns may have nothing to do with games...we'll just have to see.

The first "versus" subject will be E3. Ah, E3, you and I have had a long past together relating to the CG site. Up until around the early part of last year (2004) we did most of the CG pages (reviews, previews, etc.) by hand. Yep, I did a lot of pages with HTML with all the reviews I did. I still put in HTML tags into our nice automatic system (I like to italicize titles of games for instance), but not nearly the amount I used to. And I'll never forget E3 2003 when I had to re-size all the pictures and put the CG watermark on them by hand via Photoshop...hundreds of pictures and I was the only one left that had FTP access to the server, the others that had that access were on the floor covering the event.

The next game I see myself buying is Battlefield 2 on June 21st. I have two co-workers that I play Battlefield 1942 with, but only one of them will be buying Battlefield 2 as it stands now. We are certainly trying to push him into buying it though, but he has a moral problem with killing characters from the modern era. Hopefully he will check out the upcoming demo and see if he likes it or not.