Monday, June 06, 2005

Twins and the Backlog

Well, it looks like the Twins got 2 out of 3 from the Yankees...way to go team! Didn't do much this weekend, although I did finally beat Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne and Far Cry. They had been sitting in the backlog pile for quite a while and I didn't feel like undertaking the rest of Half-Life 2 this weekend (another backlog holdout).

Being a game reviewer I end up having quite a big backlog simply because when a new game to review comes my way that takes top priority even if there is another awesome game I just bought. That's just how I go about reviewing, I put the stuff provided before the stuff purchased. As I continue to build up purchased items while getting reviews done for provided titles I increase my backlog. RPGs are the games that get hit the worst simply because they take longer to beat than your average action game like God of War (my review). So, I have a good backlog of RPG games along with a backlog of other games. It would be nice to ram through the backlog, but if Max Payne 2 and Far Cry taught me anything this weekend, it is that there are some awfully long games in my backlog.

I had not played a game in basically a month before I sat down to beat those two games this weekend. It's been a pretty busy month with work, E3 (and other CG stuff) and life things going on so I haven't really felt the need to sit down and play games. Luckily it is a pretty quiet time in the gaming year, although things will heat up soon with the release of Battlefield 2 on the PC and Conker: Live and Reloaded on the Xbox June 21st. Then things get pretty quiet again until the major sports games start showing up (NCAA Football 06 and Madden NFL 06). I'll talk about those games more in my next update.