Sunday, June 19, 2005

City of Heroes - Day 7

I'm up to level 10 and almost to 11 after my 7th day in the 14 day trial. I feel pretty good that I can get up to level 14 by the time my trial is up. Team play is definitely the way to go with this game because going solo just does not pay off in the experience section. From what I remember of World of Warcraft in the beta it seemed to lend itself more to the solo adventurers, something I have grown quite accustomed to growing up without anyone my age or anyone interested in video games around me when I grew up. Sure I had friends in school, but I rarely saw them outside of the school environment.

I finally got past another of my difficult missions (thanks to a good team) and I also learned a valuable lesson. I had run into one of the Hero Corp people and changed my reputation to Invincible. I figured it might strike fear into other people, but it actually is a difficulty leveler and I just happened to pick the hardest one. This is what happens when you don't have instructions. Even if I had the CoH instructions I doubt I would read them. That is just the kind of person I am.

Do I like City of Heroes? It's pretty fun, but at the same time it can be very boring. I know I will not have touched on all the zones by the time my trial ends and I'm willing to bet there are some pretty fantastic experiences as you grow in levels, but down here in the 10s levels nothing is really grabbing ahold of me to keep playing beyond the 14 days. Different strokes for different folks I guess. If there is one thing CoH has done it is to make me interested in opening up my copy of WoW and playing that as well as pick up Guild Wars, the one that you don't have to pay per month for. We'll see how that goes...there is Battlefield 2 on the horizon afterall.