Friday, October 14, 2005

Xbox 360: What to Pick Up?

Well, we're only 39 days away from the release of the Xbox 360 in the United States (thanks to the banner on The Xbox Homepage). Most gaming news sites have either gone to San Francisco or Redmond to see the system and some of the games coming out for it.

Console Gold's own Ron Burke came back from this recently and has so far put up his Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion Hands-On story. I would expect to hear more about the other games he saw while at the event. He also talks a bit about things in this forum post.

Over on C-Net (story), Daniel Terdiman pipes in on his thoughts. He mostly talks about how nice the games look, how cuffed he felt by the rules and a general lack of gameplay. This requires reading between the lines, but that's what I'm reading.

Over on Evil Avatar, bapenguin went to the event as well. Here are the articles: Perfect Dark Zero, Kameo: Elements of Power, Project Gotham Racing 3, Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion and other games.

The other big news (at least to me and hopefully to you) is that Microsoft will have 21 games available for Xbox Live Arcade from a variety of companies AND more will be on the way. The games supposedly will be in demo form on Xbox Live and you can purchase from there. Notable games would be: Bejeweled 2, Hexic HD (I hear this is awesome), Joust and Smash TV. Oh yes, did I mention that supposedly all will be in 1080i? Wow!

If I was a betting man, I'd say this would be an adequate lineup for you to get at launch:

Kameo: Elements of Power - I think this will be the highlight of the first-party offerings. I think it is poised to surprise a lot of people and will be the true Halo of the Xbox 360.

Project Gotham Racing 3 - If you like racing this is a no-brainer honestly. If you aren't a racer, don't pick this up.

Need for Speed: Most Wanted - All I needed to read from bapenguin was that this harkens back to the Hot Pursuit days. That's enough to make me buy it AND the PS2 version of this game won't have online while the Xbox, Xbox 360 and PSP versions will...oops!

Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion - Not really into the game, but I know many that are. This is the only RPG for the launch and chances are it will be great.

Perfect Dark Zero - I don't think this will be the Halo of the launch. FPS games have been put on another level with the fantastic stuff that has come out in the past few years and I just don't see PDZ reaching that level.

The sports games and Call of Duty 2 could also be in here, but I have anxiety about the sports games. I think they will look great, but won't have the same or better gameplay than their current generation counterparts. With CoD2, I'll be picking that up for the Xbox simply because of the control scheme. I love Halo, but I also played a lot of CoD on the computer.