Monday, August 01, 2005

Xbox 360 - 11/4 and $299.99?

Console Gold reader Hetz has some news in this thread that Wal-Mart has gotten signs saying that the Xbox 360 will be out on November 4th for the price of $299.96. I guess the IGN boards are abuzz about the whole thing and we'll wait to hear the actual word. I was hoping it would be in the $300 price range (although $249.99 would have been nice) and now it puts the pressure on Sony of whether they're going to push out a system for $100 more or not or if they're going to bleed red for a long time in order to compete.

I still stand by what I said about Sony. I think they've gotten cocky and think everyone wants a PS3 and will pay the extra money for the name recognition. Microsoft may have as much as a 10 month head start before the PS3 comes out in the U.S. (I, much like Bill Harris, believe it may be September 2006 before we see it), so they better use the time well if they plan on keeping Sony at bay.

I'll probably buy both, but I am still very afraid of what Sony is going to sell the PS3 at.