Wednesday, November 02, 2005

The Xbox 360 Conundrum

We are 3 weeks away from the release of the Xbox 360 system and I am just flabbergasted by the amount of non-information we are getting about it. Microsoft has gone very quiet and all we've been hearing are rumors (and facts), such as:
- EB Receiving Half of Pre-Orders on Hardware (Rumor)

- Elder Scrolls: Oblivion Pushed to February to April 2006 (True)

- Early word on Perfect Dark Zero has been middling at best (many sites, True)

- There is no definitive launch list from Microsoft (True)

- No promised Backwards compatibility list yet (True)

I got a call from EB late last week and although he got cut off I think he was saying that he was putting final numbers for games/accessories in on Saturday of last week and that I needed to pre-order them. Much like other times he called I decided to ignore it simply because I still have no clue exactly what will be out on Day 1 nor what I would want (plus the whole $50 for another wireless controller is insane in my mind, plus the $20 for the charger). The only for sure game for me would be Project Gotham Racing 3 at this point, but I have a sneaking suspicion it may not be out at launch so why blow $50 in order to pre-order it?

All signs are pointing toward this launch being an absolute disaster. Hopefully within the next couple weeks some magazines will get their hands on the games and can review them so we can go out with some sort of compass on launch day. Then again, maybe we'll be lucky and Microsoft will be more forthcoming about what is actually going to be coming on launch day.

Sony is probably sitting back laughing at this whole thing right about now. Then again, they may not have a system out here until 2007...who knows.